Let It Be This Moment


"You got to be kidding me!"

I raised my head as soon as I heard someone familiar uttered those words. I couldn't help frowning upon seeing my friend groaning as she banged her head on the table.

"What's your problem? You looked like someone who just got dumped by your boyfriend." Of course, I said that as a joke.

"Excuse me!" she exclaimed as she straightened herself and faced me indignantly. "I'm the one who dumps people first when I know they're starting to become toxic in my life. And my boyfriend right now isn't one of them, okay?"

"Alright, alright. Chill down, will you? You know I was joking." The smile on my face slightly faded not long after. "But there's something wrong, isn't it?"

Shs didn't answer, even when a minute had passed. In fact , she avoided her gaze as soon as I asked that.

"I guess you don't want to talk about that, huh?"

She smiled sadly and nodded. "Sorry. It's just that... the issue has something to do with him."

I nodded. "It's okay. But you know, you can tell me anything when it's starting to become unbearable for you."

But with all that talk, my words tugged something inside me. I wanted to ignore it at first. And yet the surroundings doesn't want me to do that. I smiled bitterly and proceeded with taking down notes that I'd be needing for the upcoming exam.

Several minutes more had passed when I finally finished my task at the moment. My friend was done whining about who knows what that I could only laugh about, even though she doesn't want to tell me anything about it for now. It was about time that I leave the place.

But before I could even take one step out of there--

I heard someone call my name. In fact, that familiar voice was what made me stop at once. With wide eyes, I looked up and faced the young man who called out to me. Before I knew it, I uttered his name in a voice filled with so many emotions. And I know he could tell that.

"Y-you're studying here, as well?" he asked, almost unsure if that was what he wanted to ask.

I nodded hesitantly and my smile mirrored that. I was sure of it. "For about a year. But... I didn't know you go to this school."

"I'm in the Engineering department. But even with that, I don't go out that much. I prefer to lie low."

"I see. It seems that you're still doing the usual things, huh?"

And then I realized what kind of a mistake that was. I shouldn't have brought that up. Seriously, what was wrong with me at the moment?

"You could say that," he said after a few moments of silence between us. "The only difference is... there are things that I don't want to do anymore."

I looked at him, straight in the eyes this time. My heart hammered crazily inside my chest as I saw something in those eyes that I didn't notice a while back because of the awkwardness.

Longing... and sadness.

I frowned at the sight of it, ignoring the fact that my heart was still beating crazily fast for me to handle. But this had only proven me one thing.

Everything about him... never left my heart at all. He was still the one I cared about-- at least romantically. Though we did choose a long time ago to head to our separate ways, even if that choice inadvertently hurt me to an extent, he was still there.

He remained in my heart all this time.

"It's still there, isn't it?" I uttered long before I could even stop myself.

He looked at me in slight confusion, but only for a short while. He nodded as soon as it appeared that he understood what I meant.

"None of it had ever disappeared, believe it or not. Though I'm not sure if I still have any right to do anything to bring it back, I'm going to risk it. Now that I got to see you once again..."

Without a doubt, those words caught me off guard. But a few moments later, I realized something. I was half-expecting it. I've been wishing for it. I should call it weird because of how badly everything had ended for both of us a long time ago. We were younger then.

But now...

"We have the time for us to make it happen again, right? We're not going to rush on anything this time."

He smiled and nodded not long after. "Yeah. We have that now. We have more time to get to know each other even more once again. Let's prove to them that what we've felt before was real and that it didn't disappear at all."

In spite of the tears that were about to fall, I smiled. It was enough as an answer that he needed from me.

He was right. We could prove it to everyone now. This moment would be the start of retrieving those lost precious memories from back then.

We were going to have each other now-- once again, and stronger than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment